Boyfriend-Schmoyfriend

J and TJack accused me of having a fear of commitment the other day.

I was all, “What are you talking about? I’ve worn these same sneakers for at least two years and I feel 90% certain that I’m not going to put the kids up for adoption.”

He’s like, “Um, you totally didn’t introduce me to your neighbors the other day as your boyfriend.”

Me, “I hate that word. Boyfriend. I feel like you’d have to start passing me notes and walking around with your hand tucked into the back pocket of my jeans. Plus, I didn’t want to explain you.”

Him, “That kind of hurts my feelings.”

Me, “What? Why?”

Him, “Because how hard is it to explain me? We’re dating. We’ve been dating for a while.”

Me, “I tell everyone we’re dating.  I just didn’t tell them because they’re super old and I think they might still be virgins.”

(silence)

Him, “That’s okay. I have enough commitment for both of us.”

pic of Jon from back1

So, this is me, being all commitment-y.

Pretend this post is written in bubble letters and a song by Journey is playing in the background.

He’d just better not tuck his hand into the back pocket of my jeans.

Comments

1. mandie miller says:

presh :)

2. Did he give you his letter jacket yet? I think you two should take a long ride in a pickup truck with a bench seat; let him drive and you sit in the middle. ;) You’ll definitely get the jacket after that.

3. Michelle says:

yea!!!!!!!!

4. Lindsey says:

Yee-haw for you both. Now if only I could meet this person in real life. . . . Glad he’s in your real life, though.

5. I am dying! We have gone through the same thing. I rarely use the word “boyfriend” and usually introduce Lawn Boy as “my friend” and refer to him as “the guy I’m seeing!”

I’ve got your back on this one!

6. Olivia says:

Agreed–there definitely needs to be another word for adult-boyfriend. And adult-girlfriend, for that matter. But there just isn’t. “This is the responsible adult with whom I am pursuing a relationship.” Really?

7. jen says:

aww. this is so cute.
    I love the notion of bubble letters and Journey. So happy for you!

8. Alissa says:

Ok, now you’re just bragging. A man with feelings? And you hurt them?! To make myself feel better I’m going to assume he has so many feelings he has to talk about them with his mom everyday when he’s not on Pinterest looking for recipes that involve meringue. I like my men to be tough and silent, talk to their mom twice a year, and not raise an eyebrow when I tell people our daughter got her red hair from the mailman.

Apparently.